· 1 1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
· 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
· 4 carrots, chopped
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
· 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
· 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
· salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine meat and flour in a large plastic food storage bag and toss to coat evenly.
2. In a 6 quart saucepan brown meat in hot vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Add onion and carrots and saute for 5 minutes. Then add beef broth, potatoes and thyme. Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover; and simmer for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
notes: you can puree this as smooth or chunky as you like. If your child is eating chunkier foods you can also cut everything into tiny pieces and then cook. This recipe also does great in the crockpot, just omit 1 can of broth.
I chose not to post a picture of the stew because once it's pureed it's not very photogenic.