With recipes like these I usually just freeze the leftovers in individual servings so I can pull them out for her when we're having something she won't eat, or I need something fast.
Weight Gainer's Mac and Cheese Au Gratin Recipe
Makes 7 1/2 servings
Nutritional facts are calculated for 1 cup-servings. This can be made gluten free by using brown rice pasta and brown rice flour.
8oz whole wheat elbow macaroni
2cups evaporated milk
1/3cup powdered milk
2tbsp brown rice flour
8oz shredded cheddar cheese
1/3cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4cup olive oil
1cup oat flour
2tbsp ground flaxseed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the evaporated milk and powdered milk and set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan. Remove form heat and add oat flour, flaxseed, and parmesan cheese.
4. Cook the macaroni until al dente--about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
5. Prepare a thin white sauce: melt 2 tbsp butter in a small sauce pan, add 2 tbsp rice flour and salt to taste. Bring to a bubble, remove from heat, add two cups milk, and return to heat, stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add grated cheddar cheese to white sauce and blend well.
7. Combine macaroni and white sauce mixture in a 2-quart casserole. Top with the oat flour mixture.
8. Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
9. Serve with salad (with dressing, of course!) or veggies fried in olive oil to make an awesome weight gain meal.:]
Calories (yes, per 1 cup serving): 575